- Do I need a passport?
Yes, you must have a passport, along with your driver's license or voters registration card. Your Tourist Visa will be obtained at your port of entry into Mexico.
- What is the method of payment?
To initiate a reservation for La Estancia - Huites Bass Club, a deposit of 50 % per angler is required. Final payment is due 30 days prior to your arrival. A reservation will not be confirmed until the deposits are received.
- Will someone be there to meet me?
A representative from the La Estancia lodge will be at the airport to meet you.
- How do I know what to take with me?
We provide our customers with a convenient packing list which can be printed out.
- How much do I tip, who do I tip and when?
- Room Maids: $2.00 per day per person.
- Lodge Staff (includes waiters, cooks, luggage handlers) all-in-one tip for entire stay: $60 usd per person
- Mexican Fishing Guides: $60 to $120 total per boat given on final day.
- Suburban Drivers: $10 per day split with all passengers.
One of the most frequently asked questions is about the tipping policy, we suggest the following:
- What lures do I bring, and what can I expect to catch?
Bass fishing can be somewhat predicted at times, but is not an exact science. We have information and photos of some of the best lures and tackle being used at Lake Huites.
- In case of emergency, how can my family reach me?
We always ask for, and file emergency contact numbers provided by our customers and will directly contact the lodge for your family members in emergency situations. Our Head Office toll free line is always open 24/7.
- What is your cancellation policy?
Fishing Package Deposit fees are non-refundable. We strongly advise you to purchase trip insurance soon after registering. In the event that you must cancel your trip due to illness, family crisis or other emergency. This insurance reimburses you for non-refundable trip costs and also provides for limited accident and baggage coverage.
You may purchase trip insurance through your travel agent. We can also try to schedule you at another date, if dates are open. In the absence of exceptional circumstances, no refunds are given on any unused pre-paid services included in the package or changes made in the itinerary while en route. Requests for a refund based on a claim of exceptional circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Can I get help with airfare?
We can provide you with a toll free number of our travel agency that can help you secure your flights at a possible discount, in many, but not all cases.
- How prolific is the netting, and what can I expect?
All lakes in Mexico have commercial netting. Lake Huites has no netting from April to September. Normally, commercial fishing does not interfere with bass fishing at Lake Huites.
- How safe is it to travel in Mexico?
Despite rumors that these destinations are dangerous places, this is simply not the case. Travel in Mexico is much the same as it is in the U.S. and other countries. For the bass fisherman using our services, Balderrama Hotels & Tours takes care of all transportation from the airport to the lake and La Estancia lodge.
- What if I require medical attention while in Mexico?
All of our lodges in the Copper Canyon mountain range and the Sierra Madre, are near medical facilities and in an emergency you will be immediately driven or flown to the nearest facility available.
- What if I'm traveling with my minor son / daughter or grand kids?
You must have a letter from the non-traveling parent or guardian stating that they give permission for the minor child to be traveling with you. Customs will not allow minors entry into Mexico without this letter.